Sunday, June 14, 2015

Catching Up With Bonnaroo Artists Betty Who and Monica Martin of Phox


Catching Up With Bonnaroo Artists Betty Who and Monica Martin of Phox
Singer/songwriter Betty Who is performing at Bonnaroo. (Photo: Shane McCauley)
Another weekend, another music festival. This time, Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival is in full swing in Manchester, Tennessee. We caught up with two of the festival performers, singers Betty Who and Monica Martin of Phox to find out how they deal with the summer heat on stage, their camping beauty essentials, and their festival food guilty pleasure.
Betty Who
Australian born singer/songwriter Betty Who has been making waves since she joined Katy Perry’s Prismatic World Tour. In December, she performed in front of Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift and Beyoncé at the Billboard Women in Music event. Her catchy dance-pop album “Take Me When You Go” is out now. 
Catch Betty Who at Bonnaroo on Sunday, June 14 at 8:15 PM.
Yahoo Beauty: Bonnaroo is all about the camping experience. Do you have any camping beauty essentials?
Betty Who: Face and body wipes are a must have. It’s hard to feel fresh while camping — or in my case living on a bus with a bunch of boys and no shower — so having the Burt’s Bees fruity smelling cleansing wipes changed my life. And for hot summer days where you don’t want to be wearing too much makeup, my routine is Nars tinted moisturizer, YSL under-eye highlighter/concealer, a good Dior mascara, Tarte cream blush, and a tinted Fresh lip balm.
What are your stage makeup must-haves for performing in the summer heat?
Because it gets so hot on stage — especially in the summer — I have to have foundation products that don’t mess with my skin. So Make Up For Ever is my first choice for all things skin related. Then eyelashes, honey. I just raid the Sephora and Ricky’s eyelash department every chance I get.
image
Describe your personal style in three words…
Space, punk, cheerleader.
Do you have a dream collaboration?
I have many… But right now the top of my list would be Miguel.
What is your music festival food guilty pleasure?
Gummi Bears. By the truckload. Oh and chicken fingers.

image
Monica Martin of the Wisconsin band, Phox. (Photo: Instagram)
Monica Martin of Phox
Phox is a folk-pop band composed of six high school friends from Baraboo, Wisconsin, lead by singer Monica Martin. The band’s self-titled album was released just a year ago and they’ve been performing with everyone from Blizten Trapper to The Lumineers.
Catch Phox at Bonnaroo on Saturday, June 13 at 2:00 PM.
Yahoo Beauty: Any must-have products for performing in the summer heat?
Monica Martin: After looking at a photo of me from five years ago and realizing that I used to have no freckles, or in other words, I’ve deeply damaged my skin, I’ve started trying to wear sunscreen. Kiehl’s has this stuff called Super Fluid and it’s lovely.
 I could go into a long-winded explanation of all of the following on this list, but just trust me on these: Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector, NYC Liquid Eyeliner, Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, Bare Minerals, Mineral Veil, Mac Select Moisture Color Concealer, Lime Crime Velveteen in Red Velvet, and Nars Blush in Taj Mahal. But with all of that, if I was going to a festival, and not playing on a stage with a camera in HD in my face, I’d probably go with mascara, liner, and a lipstick. Keep it breezy.
image
The full Phox band, including Martin. (Photo: Facebook)
Describe your personal style in three words…
Librarian on Holiday.
How do you stay confident while performing? 
Over the course of two years of touring and having general crippling self-doubt, I’m still making the shift from drinking heavily when on stage to drinking less, and reminding myself that people are generally kind, and want you to be there. And if someone just hates me and hates my voice and the words I say, then that’s OK. It’s a big universe, and no one is for everyone. This, of course, is easier said than exercised.
What is your a dream music collaboration?
I want to sing backup vocals for Brandi Carlile. I would maybe cry the entire time and be instantly fired.
Related:

No comments:

Post a Comment